martes, 19 de junio de 2007

Tecalitclan




Last week three new girls moved into my house--Kara from San Francisco, Stephanie from Oklahoma, Ashley from Kansas. Last weekend I went with Kara, Ashley, and Kara`s friend, Sergio, to a small town about an hour and a half away called Tecalitclan (I`m still trying to be able to say this one). Let`s just say I wanna spend my next five weeks there. I don`t need those Spanish credits that bad, ay? I think I`d learn more Spanish there though...and they talk slower, so it`s easier to understand.
It was just the most enchanting town. It wasn`t extremely historical or pinteresque as perhaps some of the other towns in Jalisco, but just enchanting. The ride there was beautiful. Fields of the agave plant (blue and spiky, cactus like), surrounded by faded purple hills in the distance, spurts of bright green fields here and there....and two volcanoes of fire and ice (one always is covered in snow, one is always smoking). The picture above, taken from Sergio`s balcony, has one of the volcanoes in it (notice the black dog in the foreground).




The town was small, but not too small, it had a central plaza with the town church and a town soccer stadium--which we spent a few hours at because Kara`s friend Sergio was playing in it. It was memorable because 1) it was a championship game and they won!! 2) Towards the end a fight definitely broke out. As one of my roommates said: "What a deal! Five pesos for a soccer game and a fight!"
In this picture I love la cruz, the cross, in the background (which also doubles as a cell phone tower). Two Mexican loves in one photo. ¡Que bueno!

2 comentarios:

A las 19 de junio de 2007 a las 23:47 , Blogger ckehl2 ha dicho...

bethany your words and pictures made me want to go there soooo much! I am so jealous right now, but more happy for you that you are experiencing it! It sounds like there are some fantastic people out there with you and that you are doing a really good job of putting yourself out there. You seem so confident and happy even just in your stories. Love and miss you! Keep the posts coming! Hope you had a wonderful birthday!!!

 
A las 21 de junio de 2007 a las 21:06 , Blogger Unknown ha dicho...

Hi Bethany!
Sorry to take so long to catch up with you. I'm so glad your having this terrific experience! I miss you, summer is going well here, but sounds like it is better where you are :)
Oh, you had a birthday? Well, happy birthday, dear :)
Jeannette

 

Publicar un comentario

Suscribirse a Enviar comentarios [Atom]

<< Inicio